Posts for tag: Obesity and Feet
A study conducted in Denmark found that children who are overweight or obese are more susceptible to develop foot, ankle, and leg injuries during engagement in physical activity as opposed to children at lower weights.
Researchers studied 632 overweight children who went to physical education classes for an hour and a half each week for two and a half years.
The group of children experienced 673 lower-limb injuries during this time. The children who were heavier had an average of 5.3 injuries for every 1000 “athletic exposures,” as compared to only 4.4 per 1000 for lighter children. "In the bigger picture the need to get all kids more active, and particularly overweight children, is imperative," sports medicine researcher Malachy McHugh said. McHugh was not involved in the study.
As an epidemic, obesity negatively affects all life stages. Seek the help of podiatrist Dr. Sorelis Jiménez, DPM of Foot Health Podiatry. Dr. Jiménez will examine your child’s feet and provide the right care and treatment for them.
How Obesity Affects Your Feet
Extra weight can sneak up on anyone unprepared. It’s not until your feet begin to hurt at the end of the day when you realize they have been carrying your entire body weight. There are many side effects that occur in the feet as a result of having a few extra pounds.
- Leaning forward (uneven posture)
- Extra weight placed in the wrong parts of your feet
- Development of Type-2 diabetes
- Loss of sensation in the legs and feet
- Small sores
- Plantar Fasciitis
Treating your feet can be helped by paying special attention to your footwear and your own body. Investing in yourself can help to lead you on a better road to health as well as serve to relieve some of the issues related to your feet.
- Invest in shoes that allow for good circulation and support
- Losing weight can help prevent and treat diabetes in addition to other diseases
- Activities such as yoga and water aerobics can help keep you active and mobile without placing stress on your feet
- Foot stretches can help alleviate some pain associated with foot conditions.
If you have any questions, please contact our office located in New York, NY. We offer the newest diagnostic and treatment technologies for all your foot and ankle needs.
Read more on Obesity and Feet