Pregnant women suffering from the discomfort of foot changes can find relief with several methods. Swelling of the feet can be managed with compression stockings, regular walking, and low-impact exercises. Stretching the calves can also help lower discomfort. It is also important for women to regularly drink waters and keep hydrated to maintain good health during pregnancy.
Pregnant women with swollen feet can be treated with a variety of different methods that are readily available. For more information about other cures for swollen feet during pregnancy, speak to podiatrist one of our podiatrists from Foot Health Podiatry. Our doctors will assist you with all of your foot and ankle concerns and answer any of your related questions.
What foot problems can arise during pregnancy?
One problem that can occur is over-pronation, which occurs when the arch of the foot flattens and tends to roll inward. This can cause pain and discomfort in your heels while you’re walking or even just standing up, trying to support your baby.
Another problem is edema, or swelling in the extremities. This often affects the feet during pregnancy, but tends to occur in the later stages.
How can I keep my feet healthy during pregnancy?
- Wearing orthotics can provide extra support for the feet and help distribute weight evenly
- Minimize the amount of time spent walking barefoot
- Wear shoes with good arch support
- Wear shoes that allow for good circulation to the feet
- Elevate feet if you experience swelling
- Massage your feet
- Get regular, light exercise, such as walking, to promote blood circulation to the feet
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our office located in New York, NY. We offer the newest diagnostic and treatment technologies for all your foot care needs.